As a pediatric dentist and a mom, I’m always trying to find ways to make brushing fun for my 2 year old. Here are a few tips that have worked for me:
1. Sing a song- sing to them while you brush. My son loves the alphabet song.
2. Tell them about all the food or things you find in their mouth while brushing. My son loves to eat, so he loves to hear about all the “goodies” on his teeth.
3. Use a toothbrush they find fun- my son’s brush vibrates and has a light.
4. Praise them for their good behavior!
5. Be consistent- brushing is not always easy, but it’s important that it’s done twice daily to avoid cavities.
As an aside, you’ll notice he’s lying down. This makes it easier for the parent to brush and see in to the child’s mouth to make sure the teeth are squeaky clean. Also, my son’s toothbrush has a light which makes it easier for me to see. I love it!